I was thisclose to getting all the fixings for our Independence Day dinner for less than $5, but our total grocery bill came to $5.02. Still, at a savings of more than 58%, I was pretty darn pleased.
Granted, this wasn’t the healthiest or most well-balanced meal I’ve ever had, but it sure was tasty and perfect for the Fourth of July. I was only planning on making hot dogs and corn on the cob, but Brendan threw the Doritos in our basket on impulse. And he’s the only one who used mustard, so it’s really his fault that we didn’t achieve a less than $5 dinner. Seeing, however, as I ate the majority of the Doritos and he actually paid for the food, I won’t hold any of this against him.
Anyway…here’s how we did it:
(all deals from Shoprite, good thru today)
- Fresh yellow corn on the cob: $0.19 each w/ Price Plus card (x3)
- Oscar Mayer classic wieners: $1.79 w/ Price Plus card (half price)
- Shoprite brand hot dog rolls: $1.69, reduced to $0.39 after sale plus coupon from 6/30 ad
- French’s 8 oz. mustard: $1.59, reduced to $0.39 after sale plus coupon from 6/30 ad
- Cool Ranch Doritos: $1.88 w/ Price Plus card (half price)
TOTAL SPENT = $5.02; TOTAL SAVINGS = $7.07
One little confession: you were supposed to spend $15 or more to redeem the $0.39 coupons (which I completely missed in the fine print) but the very kind cashier at Shoprite overrode the system and let us use them anyway. So extra points for Shoprite in my favorite grocery store rankings this week.
Did you take advantage of any great deals this week? Be sure to share!